I’m really excited about this one — my Oma recently mailed me her recipe for Saurbraten and Kartoffelklöße.
…Jeeze, how German was that sentence?
Anyway, just because in case I lose the handwritten notes she mailed me, here it is!
- 1 bag Ginger Snaps
- 3 lbs rump or round roast
- 2 cups vinegar (wine)
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small jar pickling spice
- 2 cups water
- 1sp ginger (ground
- 1 large bowl
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate 2-3 days.
- After time, remove meat and dry. Keep marinade.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Add marinade and cook until fork tender.
- Strain marinade and reserve.
- Add more water.
- Add vinegar if desired.
- Add crushed ginger snaps (the amount of ginger snaps you add will determine the thickness of the gravy.)
- 5lbs potatoes
- 2 toasted slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- Cook potatoes and mash. Cool until cold.
- Add eggs to the mashed potatoes, one egg at a time.
- Add a little bit of flour at a time until a dough forms. Make sure it’s not too sticky!
- Toast 2 slices of bread (I usually butter it and cut into cubes)
- Flatten 1 TBLs dough and pat a crouton in the middle. Roll into a ball.
- Make all of them! (You might want to put some flour ion a plate to put the dumpling on.)
- Boil salted water, put 4 in at a time. Cook until they rise to the top.
- Use a slotted spook to lift them out, drain in a colander. Cool & enjoy.
- 1 bag broad egg noodle
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 stick of butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- Saute the onion in melted butter until soft.
- Boil noodles according to directions. Drain.
- Add the cooked onions and butter, let cool.
- Add beaten eggs & cottage cheese.
- Mix together; add salt & pepper.
- Pack firmly into a 2qt buttered casserole dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour, or until brown crust forms.